I’ve been going back and forth for a while on what should be done about Facebook in my particular case. It would be kind of nice to eliminate it completely since I don’t ever post there, but there are some work-related advantages to being there that I just can’t deny.
Oh, and I also need a FB account to use Spotify.
My first thought was to go to an extreme and un-friend every single person on there. I even started doing that (sorry if you got axed…I made it to the letter ‘C’). The logic was that I’m easy enough to find on the web in other places if you really want to find me, but the problem is that other people aren’t. The simple fact is that I do have some great friends who have a presence on Facebook and nowhere else, and I like to keep up with them and occasionally comment.
Then I remembered reading somewhere that a person can only really have 150 friends–the Dunbar number. That gave me the idea of shrinking my list down to 150 Facebook friends as a maximum. But that required some rules. So here’s my strategy…
- If I just kinda knew you but have no funny stories about you, you’re out
- If I only know you through other social media (blogs, Plus, Twitter), you’re out…we communicate in those places and not Facebook.
- If I only know you because the person you are married to or dating, you’re out. Think of it this way…who would get me in the divorce?
- If you are close family that I regularly talk to on the phone and in person instead of online, you’re out. We already have an established means of communication, and it’s not Facebook.
- If you are other family and we don’t talk even though we’re Facebook friends, you’re out. (I post photos of the family here, and I would love to share with you!)
- If you don’t actively participate on Facebook anyway, you’re out (and good for you!)
- If you are married to me, you’re in. Always.
- If we were once really close but aren’t any longer because of time and distance, and Facebook is the only way we can stay connected, you’re in. But I’m going to try to get you to move to Plus.
- If someone who trumps you tries to add me as a friend later, you may get the boot. Sorry. 150 is the limit.