I have a gmail filter set up so that notifications of new Twitter followers don’t get sent to my inbox. I go through them a couple of times of weeks, and I’ve picked up on a few patterns in my follow-back decision making…
- If you are following more people than I am and have only produced 1% of the tweets I have go back! You are not getting followed.
- If you are following 10x more people than are following you, go back! You are not getting followed.
- If you are following a number of people approximately equal to or smaller than the number of people that are following you and your number of tweets is at least 10% of the number of people you follow, I’m going to check you out and probably follow back.
- If I know you in real life, I’m going to follow you. Even if you’ve never tweeted. But expect me to prod you into participating.
- If you mention David Lee Roth or Falls City beer in your profile, I will follow you.
Expect this list to grow and evolve.