Made it to the morning class today–got started a little late, but it was just Louis and me. After stretching we went straight to technique and got to work on three different things. This was cool, because Tuesday night training was a total beat down, and we were still feeling it 12 hours later.
Side Control to Mount #1
- Body side elbow tight to the hip with hand in armpit for hip control
- Roll hip to reverse kesa gatame
- Drive off of foot and scoot hip to fold opponent’s knees over
- Hand to legs and knee on quad
- Slice knee to mat and flop foot to avoid quarter guard
- Slide foot under opponent’s leg
Side Control to Mount #2
- C cup, pull close thigh up and punch it forward, stacking legs.
- Step into the hole between legs
- Remove hand, and he’ll naturally turn in, allowing to slice the knee and flop foot
Gi Choke from Side Control
- Remove lapel from belt on the hip side and take out the slack
- Feed to cross face arm using hand or mouth
- Hand back to hip and move legs towards head
- Head to hip hand
Burner. We picked the wrong day to spend at the beach before class, because this one tore me down. Awsum.
Warmups got a lot tougher today with shots and sprawls mixed into the usually light jog. Technique was a butterfly guard pass and a butterfly sweep.
- Hands grip outside knee and label (same sides as hands)
- Snake knee hand side foot in, then drop step around when foot hits mat. Causes an X with the arms–leave it until knees are positioned
- Switch hands to side control
- Cuff grip and punch opponent’s hand down
- Reach around and grip belt with other hand
- Drop cuff side knee down and under
- Lift belt side leg, rolling to shoulder
King of the mat with three down and four up, so not much break there. Then we went into rolls starting in bad positions and just roll from there. I had Norm’s back to start, which didn’t last long, but it’s the only time I’ve ever had that. LOL. Next Joe had me in side control. Took me a while, but I was able to get out. He was about 2 seconds away from finishing a triangle, but I was able to escape.
Then we actually rolled. Had two really good rounds with Ed and Louis. Pulled guard with Ed to start and he passed pretty easily (which means I need to work more) and got me in side control. Defended the mount and eventually worked up to one myself. Attempted baseball bat choke and seated triangle but could finish neither.
Went next with Louis–we were already pretty spent. Took me about half the round to pass his guard (also need to work on). He was able to work me back into guard and sweep me, but I immediately got a good triangle attempt. I was focused on stuffing the arm before pulling the head and thrusting, but he told me later I had it deep and could have finished. Dang! Ended the round with an arm but not able to finish. Pattern developing here.