Really awesome training today. One of the upsides of being on the ground floor of a new gym I guess–when a new class time starts, it will be small and more individualized. Worked out for me this morning since I was the only one there.
While we were stretching, Coach Frank asked what I’d like to work on. I said, “You’re the coach…fix something that’s broken. LOL.”
We rolled for a couple of rounds and he said, “Alright…cool…I know exactly what we need to work on.”
Technique–Simple Mount Escape
I think he saw this watching me roll a few times, then felt it when we rolled. My only real effective option when mounted has been to upa and shrimp/twist to get to a hip and hope I can get a knee in. He gave me a better option today:
- Trap arm on the side you want to go to
- Foot on that side outside of their foot
- Other foot with active toes under butt
- Twist upper body away from trapped arm
- Look up
- Roll head to the gap between shoulder and head while pushing up
- If using an underhook on the other arm, be aware of that because you roll into full guard
Pretty much like the first one demonstrated here, but with a little more space created with the head/shoulder to make the roll easier.