There was a new student at the gym–big guy who trained as a kid and has taken 12 years off. Since I was the smallest student tonight (besides Ana), Coach Frank threw us some stuff we can use effectively with an omaplata option at the end for the squirmy types to finish with.
After warmups we did some knee on belly drills which flowed directly into technique.
Side Control -> KoB -> Arm Attacks
- Thumb in shallow collar grip (elbow tight)
- Belt knot grip (elbow tight)
- Push up to Knee On Belly
- Opponent’s natural tendency is to push the knee
- Shoot arm through the hole and c-cup the shoulder
- Roll opponent toward you and step over head, shooting other foot deep underneath
- Pop elbow up to move arm between shoulder and neck (crook of the elbow to elbow)
- Slide up the arm and “I-Dream-Of-Genie” to finish the down bar
- If defense reaches across your face, grab the wrist and modified Americana
- If defense reaches low, swap grips and kimura
- If defense is jump to the knees, swing legs to set up the omoplata
Twice with Jonathan, once with Frank, twice with Norm. I was plumb tuckered. Caught a few armbars against Jonathan but couldn’t get anything at all (typical) with Frank and Norm. They both tapped me out multiple times (again). By the end of my last roll with Norm, I was just showing up out of respect for him and doing what I could to defend, but I was completely out of energy. I had to put my bag down and change hands walking from the door to the car.